Friday, August 6, 2010

A Great Wheel


Yesterday, my good friend, Gladys Strong, delivered her great wheel to my house. Gladys has been working as a fiber artist most of her life, and she’s now well past 80 years old. Lately, she’s decided to downsize her considerable collection of equipment and materials. And she offered me her great wheel and several pounds of cotton and flax for spinning. I am honored. It is a beautiful wheel. It was made for her by Joseph Danhoffer in 1986. I believe Gladys was living in Virginia at the time. Now, she lives in Lake Leelanau with her daughter and son-in-law. Her son-in-law, Joe, was kind enough to use his van to deliver the wheel to my house.

I didn’t have much to offer in exchange. But I did send Gladys and Joe home with some fresh chives, thyme, basil, parsley, and tomatoes from my garden.

Now, I must live up to this magnificent gift and hone my skills at quill spinning. Here’s a picture of the wheel.



No comments:

Post a Comment