Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mulligan!



No, I don’t play golf. However, it is my understanding that the term “mulligan” is used as a “free re-do” of a poor shot – at least during a friendly game of golf.

My re-do involves knitting. In May (blog entry May 21, 2011), I started knitting an afghan from a delicious mohair boucle yarn. I had a good plan. Or, so I thought.

My idea was to incorporate zig-zag lines of eyelets on a garter stitch background. Here’s a rough sketch of my idea:


This is a big, big afghan. It’s 48 inches wide. And I’ve knitted nearly that same number of inches in length. So, I’m closer to the end than to the beginning. I took a couple pictures of my progress earlier today. Here’s one picture:


Nice colors, don’t you think? I do love this yarn, and I love knitting it. But I’ve been so attached to my design idea that I was ignoring what was right in front of my face: the yarn hide the fabulous design. I mean! Can you see it? All I see is garter stitch.

Here’s another picture which is intended to point out the pattern:


Perhaps you can see the eyelets, but not very clearly.

The problem is this. I’m designing the afghan to sell. I’m thinkin’ that no one will want to buy an afghan that looks as if it’s just knitted in plain ol’ garter stitch.

So, I’m taking a “mulligan”. I haven’t been able to bring myself to rip out the afghan yet, but I will. Anyway, July is not the time of year to knit with a giant pile of mohair in your lap.

When I do get around to re-knitting, I may go back to one of my earlier ideas for this yarn (which has, by the way, been a real pleasure to knit): an oversized pullover with a dramatic cowl collar, or maybe a flashy, versatile ruana. Maybe a cross between a ruana and a pullover…..

No comments:

Post a Comment