Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Message in a Towel?

Last year my friend, Marty F, gave me four towels that she’d woven. They are hand towels, made of cotton, and woven in Monk’s Belt patterns.


I have been using these beauties in my bathroom. They have gotten regular use and regular washing. And I love them. When I’m sitting on the pot, I stare right at my hand towel, so I’ve gotten plenty of time to examine these towels and their patterns. From the start, I’ve been quite fascinated by the designs. I wonder how Marty made decisions about the width and length of the patterns, and when to change colors.


I stare at these patterns and let my mind wander. Lately, I’ve been thinking that the weaving pattern is a code and I wonder what message has been woven into the towel. I don’t really want to figure it out. I like the puzzle, the mystery. I hope to continue to be entertained by the puzzle of Monk’s Belt. Thank you, Marty!

No comments:

Post a Comment