Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014 in Review


Ok. I just re-read my New Year’s Resolutions for last year . Some I kept, some I didn’t; just exactly like every To-Do list I’ve ever made.

Despite not living up to all the items on the list, I feel pretty good about 2014.

I did get several articles published:
 
“Spin It! Mastering Mawata/Spinning Silk Hankies” (2014) PLY Magazine, Issue 4, Spring 2014, pp54-57.
“Spin It! Best of Both Worlds Fingerless Mitts” (2014) PLY Magazine, Issue 4, Spring 2014, p58.
“Knit It! Best of Both Worlds Fingerless Mitts” (2014) PLY Magazine, Issue 4, Spring 2014, pp59-61.
 

 
“Quick on the Uptake” (2014) Spin-Off, Volume XXXIX, Fall 2014, pp56-59.
 
“Wool into Stone Afghan” (2015) Spin-Off, Volume XXXIX, Winter 2015, pp82-86.
 

 
“Spin It! Holiday Inkle Band” (2014) PLY Magazine, Issue 7, December 2014, pp62-63.
“Weave It! Holiday Inkle Band” (2014) PLY Magazine, Issue 7, December 2014, pp64-65.

 
I finished knitting the merino/silk “Curvy Corner Shawl”. But I haven’t written the pattern yet.
 
I designed and knitted a cardigan from some Briar Rose Fibers yarn. I’m mostly pleased with the design – especially the collar – but I’ll redesign the sleeves if I knit this one again.
 
I knitted 10 pairs of socks, all of my own design. I do plan to write up patterns for at least three of them.
 
I designed and knitted a linen tunic and wore it at my 40th High School reunion. The reunion was a blast and the sweater was a hit. I also wore it at the Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival and got several requests for the pattern. So, I may have to write that one up as well.
 
I re-knitted a charming wool vest. Not my design. From commercial yarn, not handspun.
 
I tried my hand at a few “firsts”:
 
I wove an inkle band with some handspun wool, recently published in PLY Magazine and pictured above. I’d woven bands before, but never with wool, and never with my handspun yarns.
 
I hooked my first rug. With handspun yarns. And it’ll be published in Spin-Off Magazine in the 2015 Spring issue.
 
I travelled far and wide to teach spinning and knitting: Alaska, Ohio, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Jersey, and of course Michigan.
 
There will not be a resolution list for 2015. But I do plan to continue writing, spinning, knitting, designing, weaving, rug hooking, teaching. And trying something new. And enjoying every single minute of it.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Amy. I really like the look of the gusset in your fingerless mitts. I don't have that magazine so I'm wondering if you are going to publish this pattern through Ravelry? Thanks, Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lindy, thanks for the compliment. And the nudge. I may well write up that pattern. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy. When you do I will buy and knit :D

    ReplyDelete