Thursday, December 17, 2015

Seventh Sock


Here’s another pair of boot socks. I think I like these best of this most recent batch.

 
There is one thing I forgot to mention in my last blog about knitting these socks: the needles I used. I am so very fond of knitting socks with double pointed needles. Many sock knitters these days use either two circular needles or one very long circular needle. I just can’t seem to give up my double points. They fit so nicely and naturally in my hands. And I’m very happy with my sock knitting. On occasion, there are sock patterns that are just easier to knit on two circulars. But usually I go for the double points.

And usually I pull out my needles that are made of rosewood. They are so pretty, and they are smooth yet not slippery, and they are warm. But on this sock pattern, I also use my very old aluminum needles. For the leg of the sock, I use a US size 6 (4mm) set of needles; the rosewood needles. For the foot, I use a US size 4 (3.5mm) set. Now, the yarn I use – B B&L “Heritage” – is a sturdy worsted weight yarn. Such yarn is typically knitted on US size 7 or 8 or even 9 needles. But for socks, I knit at a tight gauge. Knitting this yarn on size 4 needles can be a physical challenge. I really struggle when I use my rosewood needles; for one thing, I’m worried about breaking them. That would be bad. I have no such worry with the aluminum needles. I’m so very glad I’ve kept them as part of my needle stable.

I was asked to share the pattern. Here is the basic outline:

Cast on 40 sts. Work in K1P1 ribbing for the leg of the sock on size 6 needles. Then change to size 4 needles for the foot. Work a heel flap on 20 sts, leaving the other 20 sts for the instep. Do a regular heel turn, ending with 12 sts rem on heel needle. Pick up 12 sts along each gusset side. Work the rest of the sock in st st. Do a standard gusset decrease, going from 56 sts to 40 sts. Work even until approx. 2 ½ inches short of foot length. Work a graduated wedge toe. Kitchener stitch the toe. Presto! If you’d like more detail, email me: amy@stonesockfibers.com.

4 comments:

  1. awesome pattern ! Will have to give it a go. My drawer is full of fancy lacy hand knit socks but I need something more substantial for outdoors. David's Mom aka Susan Stark

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful... as are all your socks! I need to get back to some sock knitting.... any classes scheduled locally this winter?

    ReplyDelete