Sunday, March 6, 2016

RT and LT

I’ve been working on my March sock pattern. It features a twist stitch pattern that I modified from a BG Walker pattern.

Both right twist (RT) and left twist (LT) maneuvers are used in the pattern. You can think of these moves as 2-stitch cables, easy enough to perform without the use of a cable needle.

Here’s what I usually do:

For RT: skip one stitch, knit the second stitch, then knit the skipped stitch and slip both stitches from the left needle to the right needle.

For LT: skip one stitch, knit the second stitch in the back loop, then knit the skipped stitch in the front loop and slip both stitches from the left needle to the right needle.

Barbara Walker, however, suggested a different method for RT and LT:

RT – BGW style: k2tog, leaving stitches on left needle, then insert right needle from the front between the two stitches just knitted together and knit the first stitch again, then slip both stitches from the left needle to the right needle.

LT – BGW style: with right needle behind left needle, skip one stitch and knit the second stitch in the back loop, then insert right needle into the backs of both stitches (the skipped stitch and the second stitch) and k2tog through the back loops, then slip both stitches from the left needle to the right needle.

For a change of pace, I opted to do RT and LT as Ms. Walker suggests. It took only a couple of times with this new-to-me strategy before it became second nature.

I like both ways. And now I can choose. It’s always nice to try new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment