Saturday, April 20, 2013

Unwieldy


Adj.  hard to wield, manage, handle, or deal with, as because of large size or weight, or awkward form.” ~ Webster’s New World College Dictionary

Unwieldy. A good word to describe my current knitting project. I’ve been working on an afghan since early March. It’s a big afghan. 266 stitches per row. I’m about 4/5 done.

The beginning went so well. 266 stitches didn’t seem like much. Until I’d knitted about 20 inches. For some reason, the rows seemed to take longer to knit at that point. And when the afghan was about halfway done, I felt I was knitting in place, going nowhere.

But the afghan continued to grow. Did I mention it’s a big afghan? Well, it is. It now weighs 2 ½ pounds. After every 20 stitches or so, I need to shift the whole thing to get to the next stitches. Unwieldy. And warm.

Fortunately, it continues to be winter here. It is snowing right now. So, it feels good to have 2 ½ pounds of wool on my lap.

I have to say that I am very pleased with how this afghan is working out. It’s a “sampler” of rib-welt stitch patterns, so it’s very elastic and will be a delight as a winter nap blankie. After I get this done, it won’t take me long to get the pattern written up. Then I’ll share.

In the meantime, here’s a picture of the work in progress. For now, I’m showing you just a Big Pile o’ Knitting.



I’m using a lovely yarn – “Charity” –by Chris Roosien of Briar Rose Fibers. I think it looks like molten copper. Makes for an even warmer afghan.

No comments:

Post a Comment