Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Action in January

I’m optimistic about 2016. At least January’s line up is solid.

I’ve got two articles due in January; one for PLY Magazine about what I call “lumberjack yarns”, and the fourth installment of “Ask a Spinning Teacher” for Spin-Off. These assignments will keep me plenty busy for the rest of this month.

In addition to meeting those deadlines, I’m doing a bit of teaching. My friend, Becky McD, asked me provide some lessons on knitting boot socks for her and a friend. I asked her if it’d be OK if I opened those lessons up to a broader audience. She agreed.

So, I’m teaching a three-session class at my house in Lake Ann, Michigan on Knitting Boot Socks.

Thursday, January 7
Wednesday January 13
Thursday January 21

Classes start at 11am and go for 1 ½ - 2 hours.

Description: This workshop is for those with basic knitting skills but who may be new to sock knitting. We will knit a boot sock: a sock that is thicker and warmer than standard socks, using a sturdy 100% wool yarn. We will cover how to use double pointed needles for knitting in the round, how to work a basic heel flap and heel turn, how to pick up stitches for the gusset, basic decreases, and the Kitchener stitch for creating a seamless toe. We will also cover how to wash and care for your new boot socks.
Class Fee: $45
Materials Fee: $13, which covers the cost of 2 skeins of Briggs & Little “Heritage” yarn.
Participants to Bring: one set of 4 US size 6 double pointed needles, one set of 4 US size 4 double pointed needles, a darning needle.

Because these sessions will be in my home, class size is limited to 6 people. If you are interested in attending, email me: amy@stonesockfibers.com

At the end of January, I’m headed to St. Joseph, Michigan to teach a 2-day workshop – Spinning Wools of North America – for a small group of fiber enthusiasts called the Lighthouse Knitters. I went down there last year in April for a wonderful weekend of spinning. I’m sure I’ll have just as wonderful a time this January too.

No comments:

Post a Comment