Monday, August 22, 2011

Lots of Locks to Love


I had a wonderful time at the Michigan Fiber Festival. My workshops were pretty well filled….and all with delightful participants!

And I had a chance to do some shopping. Most of my shopping is geared toward replenishing my supplies for teaching. This year I was on the look-out for various types of locks because I’m devising a new workshop on spinning with locks.

There were plenty of locks to be had!

First I got some locks of Lincoln wool, dyed shades of purple. Love the shine! I got these locks from Victoria Station. Victoria Brackney is located in Howell, Michigan.


My next lock purchase was from MoonsShadow Farm. They’re located in Chisholm, Minnesota. They had a wall of yearling mohair locks dyed in all sorts of colors, so you could mix ‘n match. That’s what I did. Pretty colors! More shine!


Then I managed to snag some locks of Wensleydale wool, dyed by Chris Roosien of Briar Rose Fibers. Love her color sense!



All these yummy locks will be joining my growing stash of locks.

For example, I bought some kid mohair locks from River’s Edge Fiber Arts (check out their Facebook page)
at the Midwest Weavers Conference in June. Carol had loads of intense colors. These are just some of the colors I got.


And last year, I’d bought some kid mohair locks from Elizabeth Koeppen, here in the Grand Traverse region. These are from natural colored angora goats and are dyed a pale and subtle combination of purples and yellows. Rather mysterious and metallic looking.


Also last fall, I bought some adult mohair locks from Marie Glenn in La Cygne, Kansas (by way of the Yahoo Spin Sales List
). These locks are undyed, and from natural colored angora goats. Very nice!

It may seem that now I have plenty of locks to play with, but I know I’ll be getting more locks when I go to next month’s Wisconsin Sheep & Wool Festival
. In the meantime, I’ll be experimenting with the many ways locks can be used in spinning. What fun!

1 comment: