Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Fiber Festivals: Michigan Fiber Festival


The summer fiber festival season is upon us.  First up for me:  The Michigan Fiber Festival.  It is one of my favorites.  It’s held each year in August at the Allegan County Fairgrounds in Allegan, Michigan.  That’s about half way between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids.  This year, workshops start on Wednesday, August 15 and continue through Sunday, August 19.  The festival is open to the public on Saturday and Sunday, August 18 and 19, featuring dozens and dozens of vendors, all kinds of fiber animals, sheepdog herding demonstrations, and fleece and fiber competitions.  What could be finer on a steamy August weekend?

I’ve got confirmation that all my workshops are “a go”.  And my “Beginning Spinning at the Wheel” workshop is already full.  The other workshops I’m teaching include “Knitting Petoskey Stone Medallions” on Thursday, “Mechanics of Your Wheel” also on Thursday, “Spinning with Locks” on Friday, and “Slip Stitch Knitting” on Saturday.  Many of the other instructor workshops are also already filled, but you can find out what’s still available at the MFF workshop page.

I just love that I’ll be teaching both spinning and knitting workshops.  Here are some representative pics:

Petoskey Stones:


Mechanics:

Locks: 


Slip Stitches:



One side trip that I may take while I’m down in that part of MichiganMacKenzie’s Bakery in Kalamazoo.  They make the best plain cake donuts ever!  And I dream of – and drool over – their cherry cheese coffee cake.  

Come one!  Come all!

No comments:

Post a Comment