Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sock Miscellany


Sock knitting is in the air. Yesterday, I got an email from Pat Petrovich. She’d taken a boot sock class from me recently. You can see her first pair of socks in an earlier blog post. Well! She has finished her third sock. Here it is:


At what point will she lose count? I lost count of my sock knitting long ago. But I still keep adding to the score. I finished my latest pair of socks yesterday. My friend, Sylvia VM, had given me some lovely green yarn for my birthday. The yarn is made by Wool Candy
; the yarn is “Fondant merino superwash DK yarn”, approximately 223 yards, 3.5 ounces. The color “Verdant”. And howdy!

Since I’m partial to green, and this yarn was a birthday present, I made this pair of socks for myself. I perused my library of sock books for inspiration, and found it in the book, Sensational Knitted Socks, by Charlene Schurch. This is a very nice, thorough book. I love the way it’s organized. This peek through the book I was especially struck by several of the “Six Stitch Patterns”. I settled on the “Stanfield #10” pattern, then modified Ms. Schurch’s instructions to make me (and my feet) happy.

By the way, this stitch pattern is from the book, The New Knitting Stitch Library, by Lesley Stanfield. This book is a lovely collection of stitch patterns with clear charting, and I’ve used many a stitch pattern from it.

Here’s my new pair of socks. I washed and blocked them last night…they’re still a bit damp.


My original plan for that pair of socks was to have them be travel knitting. I’m headed to Sarasota, Florida next week and socks are nice travel knitting. But I finished them! Now I’ve got to prepare another project for this trip. Yep. It’ll be socks. A few years ago I designed a pair of socks that I call “ThisWayThatWay” socks. But I never got around to writing up the pattern (I tend to procrastinate on my pattern writing….). So, next week, I’ll start another pair so that I can make sure my notes are accurate. Here’s a picture of the original pair:


I’m going to re-knit them in “Heritage Sock Yarn” by Cascade Yarns (75% merino superwash, 25% nylon), in a lovely solid turquoise color (color #5626).

No comments:

Post a Comment