Sunday, April 29, 2012

Tree Weaving


This part of Michigan is largely covered by mixed deciduous and conifer woods.  Just the way I like it.

And this time of year is very good for looking at tree trunks and branches.  Most leaves are barely beginning to bud out so you can still see the skeleton of the trees very clearly.

On my morning walks with Toby, I often stroll along First St.  And the trees along this walk got me thinking of weaving.  Let me show you a few.

Warp.  Red pines are native to Michigan.  I don’t know the details of the history of lumber in this State, but I think most of the State was “de-tree’d” in the late 1800s.  The State then planted acres and acres of red pines.  The red pines in this picture look like such State-planted trees.  I do love red pines; they look very confident.  And very vertical.


Weft.  There is this one branch on this one tree that extends horizontally for what seems a mechanically impossible length.  Why doesn’t this branch just break?  I don’t know.


Weaving.  These are not all good pictures, but you get the idea.




I love trees.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I get it. Love the way you see! I will "notice" the warp and weft of trees today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have taken more pictures of tree weaving, but the memory card in my camera was full. Those weavings are everywhere!

      Delete